Thursday, July 9, 2026

When You Feel You’ve Failed the People You Love

By Rev. Dr. Terence K. Leathers

You can love your family and still wonder whether you have let them down. Maybe you wish you had been more present for your children, or you question whether you are doing enough for an aging parent. If you are carrying that regret, you deserve room to talk about it without being reduced to your mistakes.

I know that feeling as a father. Looking back at my daughter’s life, I can see where I could have been more present and listened with greater patience. Those are hard things to admit when you love someone and wish you had handled certain moments differently.

As a son, I ask myself whether I am doing enough for my mother, who is presently in a care facility. I am trying to do as much as I can, but the question stays with me. Perhaps you know what it feels like to give what you have and still wonder whether it is enough.

Being a man does not mean getting everything right. I am learning that strength includes being able to say, “I was wrong, I could have done better, and I’m sorry.” We need room for men to have that conversation and support as they decide what to do next.

Regret can show you where something needs to change, but it does not have to define the rest of your life. Where you have caused hurt, begin by listening to the person affected and taking responsibility for your part. An apology may open the conversation; following through gives that person a reason to believe something is changing.

Writing Portrait of a Queen: Finding Faith, Hope, and Healing After Loss led me to look at myself. I cannot change yesterday, but I can use what I have learned to make different choices today. My faith reminds me that failure does not get the last word; God does.




What will you do with what failure has taught you? Give yourself time to answer honestly, then choose one step you can take today. You may need to offer an apology or have a conversation with someone you trust about what you have been carrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Everyone Comes to the Leader, What Happens to the Organization?

By Rev. Dr. Terence K. Leathers The phone rings. Someone needs an answer. A decision has to be made. Someone needs approval. A problem comes...